Maven is the largest virtual clinic for women's and family health, offering continuous, holistic care for fertility, pregnancy and parenting. Maven’s award-winning digital programs are trusted by leading employers and health plans to reduce costs and drive better health outcomes for both parents and children. Founded in 2014 by CEO Kate Ryder, Maven has supported more than 10 million women and families to date. Maven has raised more than $200 million in funding from leading investors including Sequoia, Oak HC/FT, Dragoneer Investment Group and Lux Capital.
An award-winning culture working towards an important mission – Maven Clinic is a recipient of over 20 workplace and innovation awards, including:
- Fortune Best Workplaces NY (2020, 2021, 2022)
- Great Place to Work certified (2020, 2021, 2022)
- Inc. Best Workplaces (2022)
- CNBC Disruptor 50 List (2022)
- Fast Company #1 Most Innovative Company in Health (2020)
- Built In NYC Best Place to Work (2022)
- Built In NYC Best Paying Companies (2022)
- Built In LGBTQIA+ Advocacy Award (2022)
Role and Responsibilities
As the SVP People at Maven, you will lead and develop the People team as an experienced, collaborative, and hands-on member of the Executive Team. This position will be responsible for driving an empathic and high performance culture, employee engagement, corporate and provider hiring, operational scalability, and leading a world-class People organization. You will oversee the Recruiting, People Operations, People Experience, and People Partner teams and own all DEI and Learning & Development initiatives to ensure Maven’s core people objectives and business strategy are realized. As the SVP People, you will represent the company as an industry thought leader and a proven leader responsible for overseeing all aspects of the employee lifecycle while possessing a proven background in scaling startups. The finalist candidate will bring a track record of clear and unequivocal success in scaling startups, running an operationally excellent recruiting function, earning the trust of employees and leaders alike, holding leaders accountable to People goals, and being a cultural steward.
The SVP People will initially report to the Founder & Chief Executive Officer and will:
- Serve as a strong business partner to the executive team by providing thought leadership and transparent input; supporting the leadership team at large in achieving hiring and performance goals; steering and representing the culture (values, voice, and tone) of the company
- Propose a strong vision and implementation plan for the continued cultural and organizational health and growth of the business to ensure people policies, processes, and systems are public-company ready
- Charting a vision for talent development and performance management across the company
- Continue to develop tools and systems to provide critical People (hiring, engagement, organizational) data to the CEO and executive team to help accelerate growth and make actionable recommendations on People goals and strategy
- Build highly scalable people processes through the employee lifecycle, including overseeing and leading the bi-annual performance and compensation review process; lead the bi-annual engagement survey and action planning process while achieving ambitious engagement goals; oversee all corporate and provider hiring, headcount prioritization, and interview processes while achieving DEI and hiring targets; and monitor progress and changes to keep senior leadership team abreast of organizational health
- Champion operational excellence, establishing metrics, process, and controls for hiring and performance management, and regular assessment and improvement
- Identify risks and opportunities through the lens of the People community and make appropriate recommendations as to further the growth of the company
- Recruit, retain, and mentor a People team that can successfully scale with the business
The successful candidate must have an informed understanding of working with hyper-growth venture-backed businesses, and the dynamics of partnering with a CEO/Founder.
- Experience as Head of People of a high-growth, innovative tech company, preferably with a passion for healthcare and experience in highly regulated industries, that has experienced rapid and large-scale growth
- Public company experience and/or leading a company through a successful IPO is a significant plus
- A pressure-tested leader in high-growth environments with a fast pace/scale; demonstrated ability to develop and implement systems, tools, and processes to increase business clarity
- Success serving as a key member of a senior leadership team in providing input to the CEO, CFO, Board, and management peers regarding the People implications of all major business decisions, as well as strategic objectives
- Highly analytical and metrics-driven with a strong breadth of skills across Recruiting, Compliance, Compensation, Employee Relations, Learning and Development, and DEI
- Proven ability to plan, budget, model, and forecast with accuracy, and to know at all times where the company is in relation to internal and external goals/targets for the current and successive year
- Ability to initiate and drive change and have the flexibility to adapt to a dynamic, growing environment
- An equally empathetic and objective, humble and highly-conscientious leader that inspires and challenges employees
- High energy, positive, optimistic - this is not a solemn, somber, back-office role
- High level of resilience - able to respond to whatever comes and lead others through change
- Strategic, innovative thinker who champions a direct feedback culture - asks hard questions, pushes the current thinking, and gives compassionate, direct communication
- Proven leader with excellent relationship, communication, change management and influencing skills
- Results driven, problem solver who works with a sense of urgency and a bias toward action
- Exhibits excellent organizational skills, operational rigor, resilience and commitment to the business
- Execution focused and hands-on; you’re able to both get “in the weeds” and lead through others
- Strong public speaker, can say no without losing people, high-level of executive presence
- Strong representation of the company’s mission, vision, and values
At Maven we believe that a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences enrich our teams and allow us to achieve above and beyond our goals. If you do not have experience in all of the areas detailed above, we hope that you will share your unique background with us in your application and how it can be additive to our teams.
Benefits & Perks:
We are reimagining what a supportive workplace looks like, from the inside out. On top of standards such as employer-covered health, dental, and insurance plan options, and generous PTO, we offer an all-of-you, inclusive approach to benefits:
- Maven for Mavens: access to the full platform and specialists, including care for everything from mental health, reproductive health, family planning, pediatrics.
- Whole-self care through wellness partnerships*
- Work from anywhere IN THE WORLD summer!
- In-office catered breakfast on Tuesday, Wednesday Grubhub lunch program & Thursday Maven get-togethers
- 16 weeks 100% paid parental leave, flexible time upon return, and $1.5K/mo for 2 months, new parent stipend*
- Udemy, annual professional development stipend, and access to a personal career coach through Maven!
- 401K matching for US-based, full-time employees (immediately vesting)
*These benefits are applicable to Maven Clinic Co., US-based, full-time employees only. 1099/Contract Providers listed under Maven DCW Providers, PA are ineligible for these benefits.
Maven is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Please note that Maven Clinic interview requests and job offers only originate from an @mavenclinic.com email address (e.g firstname.lastname@example.org). Maven Clinic will also never ask for bank account information (routing, account numbers), social security numbers, passwords or any other sensitive information to be delivered over email, or phone. If you receive a scam issue or a security issue involving Maven Clinic please notify us at: email@example.com.