For other positions, some roles may be based outside of our Denver office (as stated in the Job Title). Roles based outside of our Denver office can sit in any of the following 26 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
At Guild, we uphold our Core Values in everything we do. Our team emphasizes our Core Values in the following ways:
- Nurture A Learner’s Mindset - using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and development areas
- Build Shared Success - building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Be an Owner - holding self and others accountable to meet commitments
- Create Belonging - recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to our company
Guild is hiring a Software Architect to help us build our next-generation platform which will power the next few waves of massive growth while also managing, maintaining and operating our existing systems.
We are looking for a seasoned engineer who is effectively able to work up, down and across our engineering organization and systems. We need someone who asks “why,” and is not afraid to “wade in ambiguity” to help drive technical decision-making at Guild. We are looking for someone who will roll up their sleeves, provide technical expertise and counsel, and will work to apply that perspective against our architecture problems. This role will require a focus on both how we design, build and manage complex systems and also the thoughtful delivery of new complex systems.
As an Architect, you will:
- Collaborate with other Architects and Engineering Leaders to lead teams in requirements definition, domain modeling, design, architecture evaluation and implementation of Guild’s systems and services.
- Define and document patterns, standards and practices for engineering teams.
- Apply systems thinking to our architecture and technology to drive optimizations for speed of delivery, quality, and maintainability.
- Works across the engineering organization to foster a culture of architecture that encourages and supports iterative, autonomous development and future scaling.
- Partnering with our InfoSec team, refine our organizational security strategy while cultivating a security first mindset across the organization.
- Guide the engineering teams in anticipation of future needs and shape design decisions that minimize the cost of future changes.
- Meet our business needs by collaborating with business stakeholders to define and deliver our Technology and Product Roadmap
- Ensure high functioning distributed systems by defining and refining our domain models in collaboration with engineering and product teams.
- Challenge our business and technical status quo to help create new product capabilities by creatively changing technical strategy or overcoming constraints.
- Role model engineering best practices and provide exceptional technical direction to teams.
- Own organizational architecture practices and processes as well as their continuous improvement.
- Ensure we are ready for what may come tomorrow.
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- A long history of being a teammate people trust and love working with.
- 8 + years of engineering experience with a relevant degree or experience.
- Expertise building and owning multiple services and APIs--data modeling, unit and integration testing, and continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD).
- Expertise with AWS (with a focus on highly managed serverless solutions), database/ETL technologies (Postgres, NoSQL, Snowflake), queuing, messaging (Kinesis, RabbitMQ, MQ Series, Kafka), and modern source control (Git / Github) practices.
- A commitment to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively explain technical concepts to other engineers, analysts, product managers, and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated curiosity and interest in keeping up and experimenting with new technologies.
- Willingness to embrace change and work within a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for higher education and our mission.
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a base range of $210,000 - $232,500, as well as company stock options.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
Guild is a female-led, Certified B Corporation - and with a valuation of $4.4 billion is one of the highest-valued, privately held education companies in the world, and the only one led by a woman. Guild's investors include Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners, chairman and former CEO of American Express, Emerson, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. We currently offer the following benefits:
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- 15 days of PTO/vacation in the first year. After your first year (or for Guilders in Director+ positions), you transition into an open vacation policy.
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 12 weeks of parental leave for non-birthing parents and 18-20 weeks for birthing parents; 4-week ramp-up period for when employees return from a leave of 6 weeks or more; as well as employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, fertility and caregiving benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including free and low cost mental health resources and financial wellbeing support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth
Guild requires COVID-19 vaccines for all employees and guests attending Guild events or entering Guild offices. As of February 1, 2022, we will be expanding our in-person vaccination requirement to include booster shots. We will be using both Clear’s Digital Vaccine Card and state-sponsored vaccine passports to verify proof of vaccine. Accommodations or exceptions can be requested for medical or religious reasons.