For other positions, some roles may be based outside of our Denver office (as stated in the Job Title). Roles based outside of our Denver office can sit in any of the following 26 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
At Guild, we uphold our Core Values in everything we do. Our team emphasizes our Core Values in the following ways:
- Nurture A Learner’s Mindset - using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and development areas
- Build Shared Success - building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Be an Owner - holding self and others accountable to meet commitments
- Create Belonging - recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to our company
Guild is hiring a VP of Data Engineering. We’re looking for a Vice President (VP) of Data Engineering with experience managing agile Data Engineering development teams within an engineering organization. As the VP of Data Engineering, you will create and oversee a high performing team innovating and building our data infrastructure that drives our internal and external analytics, forecasting and broader data strategy needs helping students take advantage of Guild’s affordable education programs and coaching services. You will be growing, mentoring and managing a team of data engineers and leaders focused on building high performing and quality data pipelines, building a centralized source of truth, ETL and operational processes to build, maintain and monitor our enterprise data infrastructure. Your team will be focused on building solutions that will scale with our continued business growth. Moreover, you’ll use your passion in data and managing engineering teams to build a top performing team within the organization focused on building core technology that helps to enable education benefits for students.
As VP, Data Engineering, you will:
- Lead a team of data engineers, BI engineers, analysts and leaders focused on solving data engineering problems, leading planning and execution to make data architecture, tooling, organizational or process improvements, leaning in from a requirements and design perspective or helping the team to determine appropriate monitoring and on-call processes.
- Work collaboratively with different departments and organizational stakeholders such as Analytics and Insights, Product, Marketing, Finance, Sales, Customer Service, Technology and our executive leadership team to ensure planning and execution is aligned with business goals and strategy and your team is delivering efficiently and iteratively against those priorities.
- Recruit, develop and retain top data engineering talent. Work with HR and other technology leaders to manage recruiting, retention and continuous learning opportunities for your team in the context of Guild’s DEI goals.
- Ensure delivery of high quality, secure and reliable software systems aligned with the needs of the business across multiple teams.
- Lead and deliver on technical strategy and guide teams through technology decisions pragmatically.
- Partner with product, analytics and insight and work cross-functionally with other leaders in the organization to build out and prioritize initiatives into an overall data set of work streams within the product roadmap.
- Recommend new technology and technical enhancements to improve efficiency and scalability within the data engineering organization.
- Inspire and motivate teams in a remote working environment.
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- Experience managing 30+ data engineering organizations serving highly diverse and data hungry business stakeholders
- Strong background in implementing a world class data organization that provides competitive advantage through data products
- Depth and breadth of experience with data modeling, data acquisition, ETL, ELT, data science and machine learning applications, KPI and executive dashboards, internal and external reporting and analytics.
- Expertise managing teams using modern data engineering tooling such as Snowflake, Looker, DBT, Airflow, AWS, Python, Monte Carlo, Tonic etc.
- Experience with different data warehouse architecture approaches such as data mesh, data vault, Inmon and Kimball architectures.
- Strong verbal, visual, and written communication skills with the ability to explain approach to all levels in the organization including key stakeholders and leaders.
- Able to think strategically and see the big picture while also focusing teams on execution and delivery.
- Ability to communicate goals and objectives broadly to engineering teams as well as broader business stakeholders.
- Experience managing and mentoring managers and directors and building out career pathing in an organization.
- Proven success working closely with Product Management, contributing to the product strategy and helping to successfully deliver on the product roadmap.
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a base salary range of $260,000 - $297,500, as well as company stock options.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
Guild is a female-led, Certified B Corporation - and with a valuation of $4.4 billion is one of the highest-valued, privately held education companies in the world, and the only one led by a woman. Guild's investors include Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners, chairman and former CEO of American Express, Emerson, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. We currently offer the following benefits:
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- 15 days of PTO/vacation in the first year. After your first year (or for Guilders in Director+ positions), you transition into an open vacation policy.
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 12 weeks of parental leave for non-birthing parents and 18-20 weeks for birthing parents; 4-week ramp-up period for when employees return from a leave of 6 weeks or more; as well as employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, fertility and caregiving benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including free and low cost mental health resources and financial wellbeing support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth
Guild requires COVID-19 vaccines for all employees and guests attending Guild events or entering Guild offices. As of February 1, 2022, we will be expanding our in-person vaccination requirement to include booster shots. We will be using both Clear’s Digital Vaccine Card and state-sponsored vaccine passports to verify proof of vaccine. Accommodations or exceptions can be requested for medical or religious reasons.